Get acquinted with the region
There are two large touch screens in the entrance hall of Hossa Visitor Centre presenting the National Park and its services. Large nature themed photo prints on wood decorate the walls and the collective art piece "Puuhippa" can be found in the dining hall. In the auditorium you may learn more about the life and history in the border land trough an animation or admire all four seasons of Hossa presented in a time-lapse video. Take a look at the photo wall of the auditorium and get acquinted with the rock paintings of Värikallio.
- Presentation of the Hossa National Park
- Suitable for all ages.
- Presents nature, the history of the region and activities in the Hossa National Park.
- Duration 45-60 minutes, price 50 €/group. Must be booked in advance.
The visitor centre's reference library boasts a wide variety of nature guide books. The library also has books on the history of Kainuu and on rock paintings.
Children's Play Corner and Activity Yard
- Located indoors, in the children's play corner you can try noses and ears of animals.
- There is a playground for children in the visitor centre's yard. It has a sandbox and toys, swings, an aerial cableway as well as a jungle gym and two slides.
At a distance of about 150 metres from the visitor centre is a nature trail (3 km) that circles Huosilampi Pond and climbs along Huosiharju Esker. There are information boards, campfire sites and a large lean-to shelter along the trail. The lean-to shelter has an eating area, a cooking shelter, a toilet for the disabled, a firewood shed, a fireplace and a campfire site. Huosilampi Pond, along which the nature trail runs, is stocked with rainbow trout. You can purchase fishing permits at the visitor centre.
There is a fireplace at the visitor centre and on the back terrace. The closest campfire site / lean-to shelter is located along the nature trail, at a distance of about 500 m from the visitor centre. The national park has many campfire sites, lean-to shelters, cooking shelters and open wilderness huts.