Päijänne National Park is located in the southern part of Lake Päijänne. Most of its islands are situated in front of the municipality of Padasjoki. Pulkkilanharju Ridge, which consists of esker islands, is part of the municipality of Asikkala. In addition, there are islands in the eastern part of South Päijänne, for example a part of the island of Päijätsalo in the municipality of Sysmä, which belong to the National Park area.
It is possible to reach some parts of the National Park by car.
The road 314 (Vääksy - Sysmä) goes through Pulkkilanharju Ridge, which forms the south-eastern gate of the National Park. On the bridges of this road, you get a great view over the National Park and the large open water areas of Lake Päijänne.
From Padasjoki, you can drive via Kellosalmi Bridge to Virmaila, which is the largest island of Lake Päijänne. A part of Virmaila Island belongs to the National park, and the campfire place in Höysniemi is accessible by car.
For more detailed parking area addresses, please see below under Starting Points for Excursions.
The National Park mostly consists of islands and islets, which cannot be reached without a boat.
Several entrepreneurs offer boat services at Päijänne.
By Public Transportation
Bus Timetables: Matkahuolto (www.matkahuolto.fi)
- Many express coaches running on the road 24 (Lahti - Padasjoki - Jämsä) stop daily at Padasjoki ABC petrol station. It is 3,5 km from the petrol station to Padasjoki Guest Harbour.
- The local bus (Lahti - Padasjoki) stops at Padasjoki coach station. From the coach station in the centre of Padasjoki, it is 2 km to Padasjoki Guest Harbour.
- The local bus (Lahti - Sysmä) stops at Pulkkilanharju in the municipality of Asikkala. There are several bus stops at Pulkkilanharju.
Journey.fi provides information on public transportation to Päijänne (www.journey.fi)
By Passenger Boat Service
- Passenger boat M/S Jenni-Maria III (kulkeevettenhalki.fi, in Finnish), transports visitors from Padasjoki Harbour and Karisalmi to Kelvenne Island in the National Park. It has a regular route and timetable.
Starting Points for Excursions
- Padasjoki Harbour (Laivarannantie, Padasjoki) is the best starting point when going to Päijänne National Park.
- Nearby the harbour, there is a new parking area for boat trailers and long-term parking.
- There are two boat ramps in the harbour, one of which has concrete surface.
- Restaurant, summer shop, sauna, shower, place for barbeque, fuel, bilge water draining, suction draining of toilet waste, mast crane, drinking water and taxi boat services.
- In 2000, Padasjoki Harbour was elected the Guest Harbour of the Year.
- For those going to the southern parts of the National Park, an alternative starting point is in Karisalmi at Pulkkilanharju (Asikkala). There is a parking area and nature trail at Karisalmi.
- You will find a parking area, boat jetties and a nature trail at Päijätsalo (Sysmä).
- In Vääksy (Asikkala), there is a harbour with all services by Vääksy canal (Kanavalahti), in the end where Lake Päijänne begins.
- There is a concrete boat ramp, fuel (95E, fuel oil), boating equipment sale and a summer shop.
- Boat transport to the National Park can be booked.
- Starting Points for Trails and Routes
- Evo Päijänne Ilvesvaellus vedenkestävä ulkoilukartta, Waterproof outdoor map of Evo Ilvesvaellus hiking trail and Päijänne National Park, 1:25 000, Karttakeskus 2017. The map is sold by Päijännehouse, Evo Centre, Häme Nature Centre and Karttakeskus.
- Terrain map M432, 1:50 000. The map is sold by Karttakeskus, the National Land Survey of Finland, and well-stocked bookstores.
- Maasto-/peruskarttalehdet: Terrain maps 2143 07, 2143 10, 2143 11, 3112 03, 3121 01, 3121 02, 1:20 000. The maps are sold by Karttakeskus, the National Land Survey of Finland, and well-stocked bookstores.
- Sisävesikartta 443 Ruoniemi-Kalkkisten kanava: Inland water nautical chart 443 Ruoniemi-Kalkkinen Canal, 1:40 000, 2002. The maps are sold by Karttakeskus, Padasjoki Harbour, Tankkausmajakka service station in Vääksy, and well-stocked bookstores.
- Vesiretkeilyreitit -melontakartta: Canoeing map, 1:50 000, Padasjoen Latu ry. Maps can be ordered from Padasjoki municipality.
- Outdoor GT Map Southern Finland, 2012, 1:250 000. The maps are sold by Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.
- Evo & Päijänne, waterproof map, 1:25 000, Calazo Förlag 2016. Map is sold for example by Päijänne House (Päijännetalo).
- Waterproof water touring map Padasjoki Kuhmoinen Sysmä 1:50 000, Karttakeskus 2017.
Map Sales Points