Customer Service and Guidance
- Metsähallitus does not have a customer service point in the Sallatunturi area. There is however a Metsähallitus designed exhibition about the area in Salla Reindeer Park at Sallatunturi. Visitors can see the exhibition free-of-charge. Salla Reindeer Park also has information about hiking and outdoor recreation in the Salla area.
- Within the Sallatunturi Area there are information boards at Salmijoki Ravine, Kaunisharju parking area, Salla Reindeer Park, at Sallatunturi Ski Resort and at Aihkipetsi day-trip hut. The information boards have text in Finnish and English.
- For further information on the Sallatunturi Are contact Naava Pyhä-Luosto Visitor Centre.
Services Offered by Enterprises and Organisations in the Sallatunturi Area
Meals, Where to Buy and Prepare
Cafés, Restaurants, Shops and Kiosks
There are various places along the Sallatunturi area's trails to buy or meal or buy foodstuff for a packed lunch. There are cafés, restaurants, shops and kiosks in the area. At Ruuhitunturi Fell there is a ski café, which is open during early spring.
Campfire Sites and Wilderness Huts
The day-trip huts and open wilderness huts in the area are
The area's lean-to shelters are situated at
- Lake Hanhilampi
- Kaunisharju Ridge
- Lake Kolmiloukkonen, 2 lean-to shelters
- Lake Tunturilampi
- the River Kaippahanoja
- the River Hevosoja
- Salmijoki Ravine
- Lake Tammakkolampi (municipality of Salla)
- Lake Kontiolampi (municipality of Salla)
- Lake Hangasjärvi (municipality of Salla)
The area's campfire shelters are situated at
- Lake Pitkälampi
- Lehtoaapa Bog
- Lake Upinlampi (municipality of Salla)
- Lake Keselmäjärvi (municipality of Salla)
Additionally situated on the UKK Hiking Trail in South Salla
- Koutalampi lean-to shelter
- Suksenpaistama lean-to shelter
- Kylmähete campfire shelter
- Pahakuru campfire site
- Konttilampi campfire shelter
- Palotunturi campfire shelter
- Siskelilampi campfire shelter
- Topsakka-aapa campfire site
- Tervanpolttamalammit campfire shelter (municipality of Salla)
Situated by the snowmobile track
- a lean-to shelter by Lake Kolmiolampi
When there is a forest fire warning in effect fires may only be lit in fireplaces inside wilderness huts and campfire shelters. For more information on lighting campfires at marked campfire sites see the Hiking in Finland pages.
- The surface water from the lakes, rivers and brooks must be boiled before use. Water in the springs and running water in the brooks is usually good for drinking. However, the quality of the water cannot be monitored, so the use of natural water is at your own risk.
- Look at the tips for outdoors drinking water in Hiking in Finland -pages.
- There are no waste-bins in the area. Measures should be taken in advance to avoid taking unnecessary waste into the area. Biodegradable waste should be placed in a dry toilet or composter, and small amounts of clean paper and cardboard can be used as kindling in a campfire. Take all other waste out of the area.
- Read more about Hiking without Littering.
- There is a dry toilet at almost every wilderness hut and lean-to shelter situated along the area's hiking trails.
Camping and Lean-to Shelters
- There are no specially designated spots for camping in the area. Camping is however permitted and we recommend you do so in the vicinity of either a lean-to shelter or wilderness hut. Hikers may also stay overnight in the area's lean-to shelters.
Open Wilderness Hut
Services for the Disabled
- The Metsähallitus maintained trails in the Sallatunturi area are not suited for the disabled. The Metsähallitus nature exhibition at the Salla Reindeer Park however is suited for the disabled and is easily accessible.
Lodging, Equipment Rental and Other Services in the Surrounding Area
- Vilma rental cabin is situated on the southwest of Vilmatunturi Fell by a snowmobile track.
- For information on other services in the surrounding area see either the municipality of Salla (www.salla.fi, in Finnish) or the Salla tourism website (www.salla.fi).
- Find out more about visiting Lapland (www.lapland.fi).